The USMLE program remains committed to mitigating disruptions in the path to medical licensure caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. While the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) examination is suspended until at least June 2021, the eligibility requirements for taking Step 3 will include:
- Having a medical degree (MD or DO)
- Passing Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge
- Being ECFMG certified, if you are an international medical graduate
- Having taken any USMLE Step or Step Component on or after January 1, 2015
- Not failing Step 2 CS six or more times
This temporary eligibility criteria will go into effect in early September 2020, with a specific date to be announced soon.
Until a modified assessment in place of Step 2 CS is developed and approved, the USMLE program will not require examinees who pass Step 3 while Step 2 CS is suspended to take the modified assessment. It will be at the discretion of individual state medical boards if they wish to enforce such requirements.